A Life I Can Actually Live
A Life I Can Actually Live
I don’t think I am trying to escape relationships. I think I am trying to stop forcing myself into versions of them that don’t fit me.
For a long time, I believed that love had to come with structure: shared housing, shared finances, shared future, shared legal identity. Marriage was supposed to mean permanence. Cohabitation was supposed to mean commitment. Dating was supposed to lead somewhere predictable. But what I learned through experience is that when those things blur too quickly, I lose myself inside them.
So now I’ve started to notice something simpler and more honest about myself:
I don’t do well when love, obligation, and logistics all become the same thing.
I do better when there are lines. Clear ones.
Roommates are roommates. That is structure, contract, clarity. No emotional ambiguity required.
Love, if it exists, should be allowed to breathe without immediately becoming a system of dependence. Because when dependence enters too early, I stop feeling like a person and start feeling like a role inside someone else’s life.
And that’s where everything starts to break down for me.
I don’t really want casual dating either. It never feels like it moves at a pace that matches me. It feels either rushed or stalled, like I’m constantly missing an unspoken rulebook everyone else already knows. And I don’t want to perform my way through connection just to arrive at something I’m not even sure I believe in anymore.
Marriage, as I once understood it, was supposed to be forever. But after everything I’ve lived through, I can’t pretend I have the same trust in permanence that I used to. I don’t know if I can make a promise that erases the possibility of ending. And if I can’t honestly believe in that level of permanence, then I don’t want to pretend I do.
So what remains is not emptiness.
What remains is space.
And strangely, space feels more honest than forcing myself into structures that don’t fit anymore.
What I want now is something quieter and more self-directed. Not isolation, but authorship.
I want my own place. It doesn’t have to be big. A studio would be enough. A small apartment would be enough. A place where I wake up and the life around me is mine to shape, not something I’m constantly negotiating or inheriting from shared history.
Just me. My dog. A space that belongs to me in a way that feels calm instead of complicated.
I want work that I can tolerate or enjoy, but more than that, I think I want context. Because I’ve realized that a lot of what makes work feel unbearable isn’t the work itself, but the feeling of being trapped in a life that has already been defined for me.
I want a place that doesn’t feel pre-written.
A place where nothing is already decided.
Because right now, that’s what exhaustion feels like to me—not lack of opportunity, but too much history pressing down on everything I try to build.
I want to be somewhere where I can become someone without having to constantly explain who I used to be.
Where relationships don’t arrive with obligation already attached.
Where people don’t expect immediate roles from me.
Where I can simply exist, and let connection happen slowly, naturally, without pressure to turn it into something permanent or legally binding or emotionally entangled before it’s even had time to become real.
I don’t think I’m avoiding life.
I think I’m trying to return to it.
Because underneath everything, I don’t actually want less connection. I want cleaner connection. Connection that doesn’t collapse under expectations. Connection that doesn’t erase me.
Maybe that’s why the idea of a small apartment, a dog, and a quiet life feels so grounding. Not because it’s small—but because it’s mine. Because it’s not already occupied by versions of me that no longer exist.
Maybe what I’ve been calling detachment is actually something simpler:
A desire to finally live a life that hasn’t already been lived for me.
And if there is anything I’m learning to trust right now, it is that I don’t need to force myself into timelines, relationships, or structures that make me disappear just to belong.
I can belong to a life that actually fits.
Comments
Post a Comment