I Am No Longer Waiting for the Past to Explain My Future
I Am No Longer Waiting for the Past to Explain My Future
I don't want to mistake what I am saying now.
The truth still matters.
Transparency still matters.
Clarity still matters.
Accountability still matters.
It would still be meaningful to understand what happened. It would still be valuable to have unanswered questions answered, contradictions resolved, and things that have remained unclear finally brought into the light.
Of course it would.
There is a part of me that would still like to put much of this to rest permanently—to understand what happened, why it happened, what was known, what was not known, what decisions were made, and why so much of my life came to look the way it did.
Understanding the past could bring a kind of peace.
It could put names to things.
It could resolve questions that have remained open for years.
It could allow certain chapters to be closed with something more substantial than uncertainty.
But I have reached a point where I am beginning to understand something else:
I don't know that I need any of that in order to live the life that comes next.
That is an important distinction.
For a long time, I think I believed that I could not truly move forward until I understood what had happened behind me.
I believed that clarity was necessary before acceptance.
That answers were necessary before peace.
That accountability was necessary before I could put something down.
That if I could just understand the missing pieces, somehow the experience itself would become easier to carry.
And perhaps some of that is true.
Understanding can matter.
Truth can heal.
Clarity can bring relief.
But there is also a limit to what understanding can accomplish.
Because understanding why something happened does not undo that it happened.
Knowing how I arrived here does not change the fact that I am here.
Knowing who made which decisions does not give me back the years that were consumed by their consequences.
Knowing what was true does not restore the relationships that ended.
It does not rebuild the home that disappeared.
It does not recreate the life I thought I would have.
It does not return the people, animals, places, security, identity, or future that were lost along the way.
It can explain the ruins.
It cannot rebuild the house.
And I think I finally understand that I don't need to keep standing in those ruins waiting for someone to explain them before I am allowed to leave.
The past can remain imperfectly understood.
There can be questions I never receive answers to.
There can be things I never know with certainty.
There can be people who never acknowledge what they did.
There can be explanations that never come.
There can be accountability that never occurs.
And while none of that makes those things acceptable, I am beginning to understand that I don't have to make their resolution the condition upon which my future depends.
That is the freedom I am beginning to recognize.
I can want the truth without waiting for it.
I can value accountability without making someone else's accountability necessary for my own healing.
I can acknowledge that something was unjust without spending the rest of my life trying to make the people responsible acknowledge that injustice.
I can remain open to understanding without remaining psychologically imprisoned by the need to understand.
There is a difference between wanting an answer and needing an answer before I am allowed to live.
I am no longer willing to make my life contingent upon the second.
Because what exists in front of me now is not the same life that existed before.
Something has changed.
Something has been created out of everything that was lost.
There is a life available to me now that I could not have seen while I was still desperately trying to recover the one behind me.
And perhaps that is the most important thing I have begun to understand.
The clarity I once believed I needed from the past may no longer be necessary for the future.
If understanding comes, I will receive it.
If truth becomes available, I will listen.
If accountability occurs, I will acknowledge it.
If some of the unanswered questions are finally answered, I will allow those answers to exist.
But I am no longer going to stand at the door of my future demanding that the past explain itself before I enter.
I am done asking the past for permission to move forward.
I am done believing that someone else's explanation is required for me to understand that my life has changed.
I am done believing that another person's acknowledgment is required for my experience to have meaning.
And I am done making my future wait for a resolution that may never come.
This does not mean I no longer care about the truth.
It means the truth no longer has to be the thing that saves me.
I can save the rest of my life for myself.
I can take what I have learned.
I can recognize what I lost.
I can acknowledge what was done to me and what I did myself.
I can carry the lessons without carrying the entire weight.
I can understand the past as far as I am able to understand it—and then stop demanding that it become something different.
Because clarity has a purpose.
It helps us understand how we arrived somewhere.
It does not necessarily tell us where we should go next.
And I think I finally know that I don't need to understand every road that brought me here in order to choose the road ahead.
So yes, the truth still matters.
Of course it does.
I would still welcome it.
I would still value it.
I would still rather know than not know.
But I am no longer asking for it as a condition of my peace.
I am no longer waiting for transparency before allowing myself to live.
I am no longer waiting for someone else's explanation before accepting that the chapter has ended.
I am no longer waiting for accountability before taking responsibility for what comes next.
And I am no longer asking the past to give me closure.
Whatever clarity comes, I will take.
Whatever truth becomes available, I will hear.
Whatever remains unknown, I will eventually have to leave unknown.
But I am moving forward anyway.
Not because what happened didn't matter.
Not because it was acceptable.
Not because the unanswered questions were unimportant.
But because my life is finally becoming more important to me than the past's obligation to explain itself.
The past can remain unresolved.
It does not have to remain in control.
I don't need to know everything that happened in order to know what I want now.
I don't need everyone to understand me in order to understand myself.
I don't need anyone's permission to begin again.
And I don't need the people who were part of the destruction of my former life to be the people who determine what is possible in the life that remains.
The truth may still come.
The answers may still come.
The clarity may still come.
But I am not waiting anymore.
Whatever comes from the past can belong to the past.
What comes next belongs to me.
Comments
Post a Comment