What I’m Longing For at 45 - A life that feels like home
What I’m Longing For at 45
A life that feels like home
I’m 45 years old.
And I’m tired of pretending I don’t want what I want.
I’ve spent enough years acting like I’m fine alone. Like I don’t need much. Like it doesn’t hurt when things end. Like I don’t secretly want the simple things because wanting them would make me needy, or weak, or pathetic.
But I do.
I want a beautiful life.
Not a bigger life.
Not a life that impresses people.
Not some polished version I can put on display and use as proof that I finally made it.
I want a home.
A real home.
Not just a place where my mail goes. Not just a room where I sleep, keep my clothes, pay bills, and wait for the next thing to change.
I want to walk through the front door and feel something in me let go.
I want the tension to leave my shoulders—the tension I’ve been carrying since morning, maybe since last year, maybe since I was 42 and everything started falling apart.
I want a kitchen that smells like dinner.
I want music playing while we cook. The kind that makes us move a little without thinking. The kind that turns an ordinary Tuesday night into something worth remembering.
I want comfortable furniture. Too many blankets. Candles burning. Books everywhere. Paintings on the walls.
I want photographs mixed in with the art—not perfect photographs, not staged ones. Real ones. Messy hair. Bad lighting. A hand over someone’s face because they started laughing at the wrong moment.
I want paintings that mean something.
A painting we bought in some tiny gallery during a road trip. Something one of us made. Something handed down. Something ridiculous we bought because it made us laugh, and years later we still smile when we walk past it.
I want a dog asleep somewhere she is not supposed to be, taking up half the couch like she pays the mortgage.
I want clutter that means something.
A life that leaves evidence behind.
I want a home that looks lived in because it is lived in.
Because I’m tired of temporary.
I’m tired of goodbyes.
I’m tired of waiting for something beautiful to disappear as soon as I begin to trust it.
I’m tired of rebuilding from whatever got left behind—gathering up the pieces of myself after something breaks and trying to put them back together alone.
At 45, I don’t want to keep starting over.
I want to build.
God, I want something that lasts.
I want traditions.
I want those stupid, beautiful little things that become sacred because we have done them together for so long that they become part of who we are.
I want the turning of the seasons to matter in our home.
I want to notice the first real cold of autumn. I want candles and branches and harvest food on the table. I want winter darkness acknowledged instead of ignored. I want lights for the return of the sun. I want spring flowers in the windows. I want summer evenings outside, staying up longer than we should because the night is warm and the stars are out.
I want solstices and equinoxes.
I want fires and feasts and offerings.
I want seasonal food and incense in the air. Greenery, herbs, flowers, whatever the earth is giving us then.
I want to remember the dead. I want to honor the Gods. I want to stand outside under the sky with someone I love and remember that our small life is part of something ancient and alive.
I want a home where the sacred is welcome.
Not as a performance.
Not as something we put on for other people.
Just woven into the life we share.
A candle on the hearth.
A small offering before a meal.
A ritual in spring.
A feast in autumn.
A quiet moment under the stars.
I want traditions that are ours—not because somebody told us how to do them, but because we chose them, repeated them, and made them meaningful.
I want someone who knows how I take my coffee.
Someone who notices when I get quiet.
Someone who brings home my favorite snack after a bad day without making me ask for it.
I want birthdays and Sunday mornings and seasonal celebrations. I want old inside jokes that make no sense to anyone else. I want to laugh at the same thing for ten years and still find it funny because it belongs to us.
I want to look at photographs on the walls and remember the story around them.
I want to remember what happened before the picture. What someone said. Why we were laughing. Why that small, ordinary day mattered enough to hold on to.
I want to look back and realize we built a whole life out of ordinary moments.
That’s what I want.
Not a perfect house.
Not an Instagram life.
A real one.
I want autumn leaves and candlelight.
Open windows in spring.
Summer nights outside.
Winter evenings gathered close.
Music in the kitchen.
Someone stealing food from my plate.
Someone calling from another room to ask where something is, even though it is exactly where it has always been—and me knowing they know that, and asking anyway just to hear my voice.
I want the things people think are small until they are gone.
And yes, I want affection.
More of it than I usually know how to admit.
I want cuddles. A ridiculous amount of them.
I want to fall asleep beside someone. I want slow mornings. I want an arm around me on the couch. I want my head on his chest while some forgettable show plays in the background, and for it not to matter because I am exactly where I want to be.
I want hugs in the kitchen.
Forehead kisses for no reason.
A kiss on my shoulder.
A hand brushing my hair back from my face.
I want to reach for someone’s hand without wondering whether they will pull away.
I want touch that says:
I’m here.
You’re safe.
You don’t have to carry this alone tonight.
I want someone to come home to.
And I want to be someone worth coming home to.
I don’t want to be rescued.
I don’t want to rescue somebody else.
I don’t want two wounded people mistaking desperation for love because neither one of them knows how to stand alone.
I want two whole people who choose each other.
Not because they have to.
Because they want to.
I want friendship. Real friendship.
I want someone who actually likes me—not just what I can give them, not just the useful or entertaining or easy version of me.
Someone I can be stupid with. Really stupid.
Someone I can laugh with until my stomach hurts.
Someone I can sit beside for hours without saying anything and still feel close to.
Someone who sees the emotional, strange, hopeful, contradictory parts of me and does not make me feel like I have to hide them.
I want someone who understands that love is not always a huge declaration.
Sometimes it is coffee made before you ask.
Sometimes it is remembering something you said three weeks ago.
Sometimes it is a hand at the small of your back as they pass by.
Sometimes it is seeing that you are having a hard day and sitting with you instead of trying to fix you.
Sometimes it is sharing a room, doing separate things, and feeling completely at peace because they are there.
No performance.
No trying to earn it.
No disappearing inside somebody else just to be loved.
Just there.
Together.
I want adventures too.
Road trips without much of a plan. Camping under stars. Little towns. Museums. Old churches. Ancient ruins. Strange roadside places. Restaurants we choose for no reason except we are hungry and curious.
I want to get lost and laugh about it.
I want to wake up on a Saturday and say, “Where should we go today?” and have someone there to answer.
I want memories.
I think I want memories almost more than anything.
I’m tired of merely surviving days.
I’m tired of getting through weeks while bracing for the next crisis, the next bill, the next thing that might fall apart, the next thing I have to solve alone.
I want days worth remembering.
I want pictures of ordinary mornings.
I want small objects on shelves with stories behind them.
I want paintings that remind us of places we loved.
I want stories that begin, “Remember when we…”
I want the mundane to matter because I shared it with someone.
Maybe that is the hardest thing to admit.
At 45, I don’t think I am longing for grand romance.
I am longing for belonging.
I am longing for the feeling that I have finally arrived somewhere.
That I do not have to keep running.
That I do not have to keep earning my place in someone’s life.
That I do not have to live in fear that something good will disappear the moment I start to trust it.
I want peace.
Not boredom.
Not isolation.
Peace.
The kind where I realize my shoulders have dropped, and I do not even remember when it happened.
The kind where I can have a bad day and nobody makes me prove that I deserve kindness.
The kind where I can be tired, anxious, messy, overwhelmed, quiet, loud, goofy, dressed up, dressed down, complicated, completely ridiculous—
and still be loved.
Still wanted.
Still chosen.
I want someone beside me when the world gets quiet.
Someone to laugh with.
Cook with.
Travel with.
Celebrate with.
Make offerings with.
Decorate with.
Annoy.
Cuddle.
Build a life with.
I want a warm kitchen at night.
Candles glowing on the hearth.
The dog underfoot.
Paintings and photographs on the walls.
Books everywhere.
A familiar voice from the next room.
A home where the seasons are noticed.
A home where the sacred is welcome.
A hand I can reach for without thinking.
I want to wake up and know this is not temporary.
That it is not borrowed time.
That it is my life.
Our life.
Maybe that is what I am longing for at 45.
Not youth.
Not perfection.
Not a fantasy.
Just the chance to stop surviving long enough to live.
To build something.
To love something.
To belong somewhere.
To have a home, a person, sacred seasons, traditions, memories, paintings, photographs, stories, and laughter that do not disappear the moment life gets difficult.
I want the beautiful, ordinary things.
A shared meal.
A quiet morning.
A sacred evening.
A hand to hold.
A shoulder to lean on.
A ridiculous inside joke.
A candle burning on the hearth.
A warm bed.
A safe home.
A person who stays.
Maybe that is not too much to want.
Maybe it is simply what makes a life worth living.
And at 45, I am finally brave enough to admit it:
That is the life I want.
Not a perfect life.
Not an extraordinary life.
Just a beautiful one.
A peaceful one.
A sacred one.
A shared one.
A life rooted in love, friendship, tradition, and belonging.
A life with seasons to celebrate, memories to make, stories to tell, and someone beside me through all of it.
A life that feels like home.
Comments
Post a Comment