Who remains when suffering begins?

Who remains when suffering begins?

There is a question older than any modern theory of relationships, older than the language of “boundaries” and “self-prioritization,” older even than the institutions we now use to define intimacy:

Who remains when suffering begins?

Not who celebrates you. 
Not who enjoys you. 
Not who agrees with you.

But who descends.

Every life—no matter how carefully constructed—eventually crosses a threshold where control collapses. The Greeks did not pretend otherwise. They named it τύχη—fortune that turns without permission. They named it μοῖρα—the portion allotted to you whether you welcome it or not. A person could be disciplined and still fall. Virtuous and still break. Wise and still be overtaken. So the question was never whether hardship would come. The question was always: Who stands with you when it does?

This is where love reveals its true nature. Not in the symposium. Not in the season of abundance. Not in the ease of shared pleasure. But in the moment when the structure breaks and the person you love is no longer easy to be with.

There is an ancient word—koinonia. It does not mean shared enjoyment. It means shared life. Shared burden. Shared risk. Shared reality. To enter koinonia is to say: “Your life will cost me something. And mine will cost you something. And neither of us will pretend otherwise.” That is what made philia sacred. Not affection. Obligation. Not convenience. Participation.

And this is precisely where the modern “self-first” ethos fractures the idea of love. Because what now calls itself love often operates by a quieter, more conditional creed: “I will remain as long as your existence enhances mine.” This is not partnership. It is consumption. It is the marketplace logic applied to the human soul. You are welcome when you are generative. Valuable when you are stable. Desirable when you are easy. But when you become costly—emotionally, materially, psychologically—the language changes. Distance becomes “healthy.” Withdrawal becomes “necessary.” Absence becomes “self-respect.”

And sometimes it is. But not always. Because there is a difference between having limits and abandoning presence.

The ancients understood this with unsettling clarity. Under xenia, the sacred law of hospitality, even a stranger—unknown, unproven—was to be received, fed, protected. Not because they earned it. But because vulnerability itself invoked obligation. Now consider how much more binding that becomes when the person is not a stranger—but someone who claims your love. And yet now we see the inversion: A stranger may receive compassion. But a partner in crisis is told: “Come back when you are whole again.” “I love you—but not like this.” “I want you—but only the version of you that does not disrupt my life.”

Strip away the language, and what remains is simple: “I want your flourishing. I reject your suffering.” But a human being is not divisible in that way. You cannot participate in someone’s life while selectively excluding their pain. That is not love. That is curation. And curation is not covenant.

Because the truth is this: Anyone can stand in the valley after the storm has passed. The question is who stood there while it was still raining. Who sat in the uncertainty. Who remained when there were no answers. Who said: “I do not know how to fix this—but I am not leaving.” That is participation. And participation is what separates companionship from consumption.

But there is another threshold—one far more difficult, far more dangerous—where even presence is not enough.

Sometimes love requires escalation when ordinary relational efforts have failed: conversation, pleading, boundaries, therapy, involving trusted people, professional intervention, or—when someone is in immediate danger—emergency services. Yet physical force or coercion by a partner is not automatically a higher form of love. In intimate relationships, coercive control is specifically understood as using power to restrict another person’s autonomy. The more profound distinction is where the power ultimately goes: does the intervention take power away from the person and place it permanently in the partner, or does it interrupt destructive behavior so that the person can recover responsibility for themselves?

That is a very different conception of love.

Sometimes a relationship reaches a point where talking isn’t working anymore. The conversations have happened. The explanations have happened. The pleading has happened. The emotional appeals have happened. The requests from friends or family have happened. The encouragement to seek therapy has happened. The opportunities to change have been offered. The boundaries have been explained. And still, something is continuing to deteriorate.

At that point, love can become extraordinarily difficult because the person you love may not experience your attempt to interrupt the destruction as love at all. They may experience it as control. They may become angry. They may accuse you of trying to dominate them. They may say that you are treating them like a child. And sometimes that accusation is correct. But sometimes there is another possibility: the intervention is not intended to take away their agency. It is intended to stop them from surrendering their agency to the destructive behavior itself.

That distinction matters. The question isn’t simply: “Did you intervene?” The question is: “What was the intervention trying to accomplish?” Was it trying to make the person obedient to you? Or was it trying to make them accountable to themselves? Was it trying to establish your authority over them? Or was it trying to interrupt a situation in which they had stopped exercising responsibility for their own life? Was it intended to make them dependent upon you? Or was it intended to get them out of a pattern in which you had gradually been forced into the role of parent, caretaker, rescuer, or jailer?

Those are profoundly different things.

One of the most destructive dynamics that can emerge in a relationship is when one partner gradually becomes responsible for the other’s functioning. One person reminds. One person monitors. One person begs. One person manages. One person tries to prevent consequences. One person repeatedly cleans up the mess. One person becomes responsible for making sure the other person behaves. Eventually the relationship ceases to resemble partnership. It becomes something closer to parent and dependent. And that is not healthy for either person.

A partner should not have to become the permanent supervisor of another adult’s life. A healthy relationship should not require one person to constantly police the other person’s behavior. That is why genuine intervention can sometimes have the paradoxical purpose of removing the partner from the parental role. Instead of: “I have to control you so you don’t destroy yourself,” the healthier goal becomes: “Something has to change so that you become responsible for yourself again.” That is a very different conception of control. It is not control over a person. It is restoration of self-control within the person. And that distinction should be central to any serious discussion of love, accountability, and autonomy.

Control can mean two completely different things. There is controlling behavior that seeks possession. It says: “You belong to me, therefore I get to decide what you do.” That is domination. There is another kind of intervention that seeks to restore agency. It says: “I love you enough not to participate in the destruction of your life, and I will not continue enabling behavior that prevents you from taking responsibility for yourself.” That isn’t the same thing. The first creates dependency. The second can create accountability. The first says: “You need me to manage you.” The second says: “You need to become capable of managing yourself.” That distinction is enormous. And it is consistent with what relationship-abuse frameworks identify as the fundamental problem with coercive control: the abusive pattern is about gaining or maintaining power over another person’s life and restricting their autonomy.

So the test cannot simply be whether someone’s behavior felt controlling. The test has to include what happens to the other person’s agency afterward. If the intervention leaves one person with permanent authority over the other, that is domination. If the intervention is designed to return responsibility to the person themselves, that is fundamentally different.

Love is not always soft. Sometimes love says: “I understand why you’re doing this, but I cannot allow you to continue destroying yourself.” Sometimes it says: “I have talked to you about this twenty times. I am no longer going to enable it.” Sometimes it says: “I will help you find treatment, but I will not lie for you.” Sometimes: “I will help you get somewhere safe, but I won’t participate in the behavior that keeps putting you in danger.” Sometimes: “I love you, but I will not allow your crisis to become the entire structure of our relationship.”

And sometimes circumstances become serious enough that outside intervention is necessary. That might mean a therapist. A physician. A counselor. A trusted family member. A crisis professional. A legal process. Or emergency services when there is an immediate danger that cannot safely be handled within the relationship. That isn’t necessarily abandonment. It can be an acknowledgment that love alone is not always enough to manage a crisis. Professional intervention can sometimes protect both people from being trapped in a destructive relational cycle.

And there is a particularly important principle here: A partner should not have to become the entire intervention system. If someone is struggling severely, the answer should not necessarily be for their spouse to become their therapist, parent, probation officer, nurse, financial manager, and emotional regulator simultaneously. That destroys the partnership. The better goal is to bring in appropriate support so that both people can return to their proper roles. The partner can become a partner again. The struggling person can become responsible for their own life again. And the relationship can stop revolving around crisis management.

There are circumstances in which ordinary persuasion has failed and a hard boundary or outside intervention becomes necessary. But we must be precise here. A “hard stop” does not mean that a spouse acquires unlimited authority over another adult. It does not create a right to beat, threaten, imprison, intimidate, surveil, sexually coerce, financially control, isolate, or otherwise dominate a partner. Physical violence between partners is not transformed into healthy love simply because someone believes it is for the other’s benefit. Healthy relationships require autonomy and respect for boundaries. The National Domestic Violence Hotline explicitly distinguishes supportive intervention from taking control of another person’s situation, emphasizing that even when someone is struggling, their autonomy remains important.

So if by “hard slap” we mean a decisive interruption of a destructive pattern, then yes, that can sometimes be an act of love. If we mean literally striking one’s partner, that is a different matter and should not be normalized as a relationship technique. A decisive intervention can instead be: calling emergency services when someone is in immediate danger; refusing to provide resources that enable destructive behavior; insisting on professional help; leaving a dangerous environment; setting a firm boundary; involving other people who can intervene safely; ending one’s participation in the destructive pattern; or allowing appropriate legal or medical systems to take over when the situation exceeds what a partner can safely handle.

The point isn’t punishment. The point is interruption.

This is where the distinction becomes philosophically important. Suppose someone is behaving destructively. You intervene. Afterward, does the person become more capable of governing themselves? Or do they become more dependent upon you governing them? That is the test. If the result is: “Now you have to ask me what you’re allowed to do,” then the relationship is moving toward domination. But if the result is: “Now you have to take responsibility for your own behavior,” then the intervention may be moving in the opposite direction. The first transfers power from one adult to another. The second attempts to return power to the individual.

That is why love and accountability cannot be separated. A partner who constantly rescues someone from consequences can actually prevent them from developing self-governance. The person never has to learn: I caused this. I need to repair it. I need to change. I need help. I need to control myself. I need to make different decisions. Because someone else keeps intervening before responsibility reaches them. That can produce a strange inversion of love. The rescuer believes they are loving the person. But they may actually be maintaining the very dependency that keeps the person from becoming fully responsible for themselves. Sometimes the more loving act is therefore not: “Let me manage this for you.” It is: “I will stand beside you, but you must own this.” That is partnership.

There is a profound difference between: “I need to control you because I cannot tolerate what you are doing,” and: “I cannot stand watching you destroy yourself, and I am going to take the appropriate steps to interrupt this while preserving as much of your agency as possible.” The first is about the partner’s need for control. The second is about protecting the person’s capacity to regain control of themselves.

And sometimes the most loving thing a person can do is risk being hated. That is perhaps one of the hardest truths about genuine love. If you tell someone what they want to hear, they may love you for it. If you enable their behavior, they may be grateful. If you allow them to continue without consequence, you may temporarily preserve peace. But if you say: “No. This cannot continue,” you may lose the relationship. They may leave. They may become furious. They may misunderstand your intentions. They may call you controlling. They may not understand what you were trying to protect until years later. And sometimes they may never understand.

Yet there are moments when someone has to decide: “Would I rather preserve my relationship with this person, or risk losing the relationship by doing what I believe gives them the best chance of becoming healthy again?” That can require enormous love. Because sometimes the easiest thing is to do nothing. Doing nothing preserves the relationship today. Intervening might destroy it. But if doing nothing allows the person to continue destroying themselves, then preserving the relationship at that moment may actually mean sacrificing the person you claim to love. That is the paradox. Sometimes refusing to challenge someone is not compassion. It is avoidance.

But love cannot become an excuse for domination. There must also be a hard boundary around this idea. No one gets to say: “I love you, therefore I know what is best for you.” That is not enough. No one gets unlimited authority over another adult merely because they are married. No one becomes entitled to another person’s autonomy because they have invested years into the relationship. And no one gets to redefine coercion as love simply because they sincerely believe their intentions are good. The National Domestic Violence Hotline describes healthy relationships in terms of equality, communication, respect, boundaries, and shared decision-making; it identifies controlling behavior and unilateral decision-making as warning signs of unhealthy or abusive dynamics.

That means the ethical test must remain: Is this intervention restoring agency or replacing it? Is it temporary or becoming a permanent hierarchy? Is it proportionate to the danger? Is there a safer and less coercive alternative? Does it involve appropriate outside support? Does the person ultimately become more accountable for themselves, rather than more subordinate to their partner? Those questions matter. Because love does not abolish autonomy. Love protects autonomy even when autonomy is temporarily compromised by crisis.

This brings the entire argument back to the idea of shared life. A partner should be someone who walks beside you. Not someone who has to drag you. Not someone who has to supervise you. Not someone who has to constantly rescue you. Not someone who has to parent you. And not someone who has to control you.

The healthiest version of partnership is: I am responsible for myself. You are responsible for yourself. And we are responsible for what we create together. Sometimes I need help. Sometimes you need help. Sometimes one of us loses perspective. Sometimes one of us needs the other to say: “Stop.” Sometimes we need outside help because neither of us can see clearly. And sometimes love means having the courage to bring that outside help in. Not because I own you. Because you matter enough that I will not simply stand there and watch you disappear.

That is the difference between possession and devotion. Possession says: “I need you to remain mine.” Devotion says: “I need you to remain yourself.” Possession wants control over the person. Devotion wants the person to recover control over themselves. Possession fears losing the relationship. Devotion may be willing to risk the relationship if that is what it takes to stop the person from destroying themselves.

And that is perhaps the deepest form of relational love: not keeping someone beneath you, but refusing to let them fall beneath themselves. Not making them dependent upon you. Helping them become accountable to themselves. Not becoming their parent. Helping them become their own adult. Not demanding obedience. Demanding responsibility. Not saying: “You will do what I say because I love you.” But: “I love you enough to tell you that this is destroying you, and I love you enough not to participate in it.”

That is not subjugation. That is not ownership. That is not necessarily control in the abusive sense. It is love with boundaries, accountability, and the courage to intervene when ordinary communication has failed. And when it works, the final destination is not: “You obeyed me.” It is: “You found yourself again.”

That is the difference between controlling a person and loving a person enough to help them reclaim control of their own life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Understand Something

THE LUMINOUS SHADOW

Still Breathing, Already Dead: The Haunting of the Living